How to Meditate
Today I want to share some further instructions on Christian Meditation. This week in my class we are practicing a very simple method that comes from Madame Guyon (1648-1717). She was quite a mystic so I don’t necessarily agree with everything she said, but these instructions are quite simple and straight forward:
- Turn to a scripture passage that is simple and practical (e.g. Psalm 23)
- Come to the Lord quietly and humbly
- Read a small portion (e.g. a sentence or a few verses)
- Do not move on until you have sensed the very heart of what you have read
- Take the portion and turn it into a prayer
- After you have exhausted the deeper sense and how it applies to you, record your findings in your journal
As I said, this is very simple. But it might be a good place to begin for those who desire to learn how to practice Christian meditation. The point is to reflect on a small portion of Scripture and take the time to allow the Lord to speak to you through it.
Next time I might share a few ideas from the method of Ignatius of Loyola.